Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Monday, April 2, 2012

They Have their ways of Telling You!

You would think after the better part of 25 years I would be able to size up any situation with Dakota--The caregivers and Parents of these kids all have unique situations but after awhile its almost like having a baby that cannot tell you if something is wrong or if they need care and/or attention. For the most part those of us inside the "Autism Community" do have one thing in common that is the opinion that anyone on the ":outside " needs to walk a mile in my Moccasins before they can say they know what to do or how to handle something----That may sound rude or egotistical -- It has nothing to do with that; it is such a unique experience that it is almost indescribable. You find yourself in situations you could never imagine in your most creative mindset! And after you have been at it a while you become maybe even a bit "cocky" about what you think you know or how to handle most ANY situation!
HA!
What I can say is that these kids do have their ways of telling you  BUT more than sometimes you miss the Que!Even with the challenge of kids like these you can become complacent-- I prefer to say that you get into a groove and get used to a "Staus Quo" and miss it -- what they are trying to tell you and when you finally realize that you MISSED IT  man, you feel stupid first and then inadequate. you think to yourself -- How the Hell did I miss that? or Why didn't I notice ?

There are several examples but I will pare it down to a few just to give you something to ruminate on----
The specific incidence that caused me to post was just last week--- Dakota had come home from a regular outing and he is usually very satisfied IT IS VERY RARE to see behavior during this time  but it happened so I chocked it off to just a bad day and went on --The next day again a routine situation things are usually smooth and another little pissing match-- I chocked it off to autism and went on with the day-- I kept asking whats different what has changed why is he irritated  I could not come up with an answer. Later on that evening I notice hes putting his finger in his mouth - so I take a look and there it is  a canker sore on his gum--- I know it seems minor and how can that equate behavior BUT that's what I getting at -- THESE KIDS HAVE A WAY OF TELLING YOU! sometimes its just not the traditional way.
Many have asked me if I think something that minor could dictate behavior and I believe the answer is YES -- I think that when they act up in a classroom perhaps a new classroom -- somethings going on--- Don't know what it is and it may be different for each kid BUT I believe theres an answer somewhere . I believe the same for something like Dakota had going on with the sore in his mouth-- the behavior was the only way to get my attention Finally it worked---

Its almost like being a psychic or a "dog whisperer" you have to be in time with so much than the normal . It doesn't make us better or more proficient as parents and caregivers it just becomes a part of our job description on order to be effective with our children. they have a way to tell us we just need to learn how to decypher it!   

No comments: