Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Friday, March 16, 2012

On a Positive Note

Sometimes when you post on a blog and especially when you talk about living with something like Autism {which it is NOT exclusive to that diagnosis}it is difficult to find positive things to write about---
Its always about the strife of dealing with either an agency or and individual or the "system" much less the demons that your child fights every day!

But today and for the past few weeks I have had a few moments where I felt good, saw progress and can even say was hopeful.

Specifically with Autism you hear over and over about early intervention and how important it is to get these kids started because with Autism there is a huge amount of "fodder" about them loosing skills or never attaining skills if you don't hit them hard early on. Also the other lament you hear quite frequently is that from puberty on there has been lots of documentation about our kids loosing or reversing much of their progress. So as those young adult years approach I think most of us watch with a keen eye to identify any losses and do whatever we can to halt it--

I can honestly say that pretty much every night I pray for miracles --If not miracles then even baby steps that continue to show improvement and/or growth. So far; knock on wood Dakota has continued to grow and improve on many levels--Look its no miracle but its improvement--AND it does render peace in my heart to know he is continuing to work his brain and learn things that others take for granted.

 To highlight the most recent "baby steps"
He used the word  MONOTONOUS correctly in a sentence----

He was watching a news feed where a lady was standing in front of a school reporting a story and a partial view of the school mascot was on the wall behind her and he said "look Mom there's a Jaguar"
He picked up on the word Philanthropy and he started to pronounce it a couple of times and then said "whats philanthropy?" I about fell out of my chair-- so I spelled  and I gave him a rough definition and he listened intently and acknowledged me--

now whether he has any use for any of these things I don't know BUT  the simple fact that he continues to pull these things out of his head tells me he is still growing and learning and that gives me HOPE!

No comments: