Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Thursday, December 31, 2009

Off and Running!

New Years Eve is here and the day has already presented new challenges!

The television has a significant role in the household-- mainly a time and schedule or routine "driver". Although most would agree that phasing out or total elimination of this "medium" would be for the best, I challenge anyone who lives with Autism everyday to inflict this course of action. Believe me I have attempted change not only with this particular issue but with many other "routine drivers". The outcome is always the same--uncontrollable behavior driven by fear.

The simple suggestion of changing or eliminating usually results in a major disruption for the day.I want with all my heart to challenge Dakota. To give him opportunity for growth. to educate him and give him options which enhance his ability to live along with others who are not Autistic as well as allowing him to blend better in the community.

After 23 years and after the past 30 minuytes I arrive at the same conclusion every time--WHY?
Why make him get upset?Why male him scream and yell? Why make him experience any more crap than he has to on his own? Why push buttons to make the static that seems to be resting in the back of his grey matter come to the surface?

It is always with love and intent to make him a better person to challenge him but when I consistantly see his "revolt" --I know why I dont do things -- I always have trouble conveying this to others.

I guess the answer to that quandry comes back the same everytime too! Often I feel it presents a learning experience, The bottom line is that if it does not effect another person I dont own them an explanation or justification.

The New Year is here and we all like the idea of freash starts and changing bad habits. For those who live with Autism its about keeping what you can the same and "tweaking" what you can.Never allow others to drive your desire or parenting skills for your kids. I think that is universal.         

No comments: