Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, February 1, 2009

Web Group Support

It occurred to me that I have never talked about support that can be found online---I would suppose that anyone who is reading this BLOG is well aware of the Internet however I wanted to "steer" anyone who might be seeking support in the direction for help.

When I started this journey I was pretty much skeptical and not interested in being a part of a support group. I felt that I had enough on my plate and I did not need to invest the time to what I perceived as "drivel". There was a support group for everything --and why would I want to waste my time?

My very first night I participated in a support group there was a family that spoke of the "trials" they were going thru with their son---They has to turn off their water at night and lock the refrigerator because their Autistic son would get up in the middle of the night and "try to" pack his fathers lunch and had most everything in the refrigerator strung all over the kitchen and when he was bored with that he would take a glass and fling water all over to watch how the droplets of water reflected thru the kitchen light---After hearing that I was not only thankful for what I was going thru but also realized exactly why I needed to attend this support group.

This group was thru a program that Dakota attended and while they worked with him ; I attended the group. Eventually Dakota had completed the program and that meant I no longer would be able to attend this group.That is when I went locking on the Internet for web groups-- and I have fond several that I participate in.

Rather than list those groups I use; I will say that you can go to any ISP like Yahoo, AOL, Msn, etc. main page and look for web groups under health and usually you will find corresponding items that match.{also you can google or Keyword search}

I am sure there are many out there who don't have the time,interest or energy for a group but I will encourage you to consider "bonding" with someone who has walked in similar shoes-- Many of us are mourning or in denial and when you touch others who are experiencing the same or similar things;it really helps-- it really does

There are also groups that you can physically attend and many find those more satisfying. The only down side is that you have to set aside time to get ready and go to the meeting places ---at least on time it can be at your convenience and on your time schedule.

No comments: