Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Monday, May 14, 2012

Thoughts about Mothers Day

I wanted to take a few moments to reflect on this day for those of us who add Autism to the mix-- I know that Autism is not exclusive to this "condition" but it is the factor that shades my views---

When Motherhood came upon me I really didn't have many set ideas about how it would be or what it would mean to me---I come from a very opinionated place on many things but motherhood was rather unexplored territory as I was an only child and really wasn't exposed to lots of "child-rearing experiences"  Referring to the previous entry I guess I lived the "Mothers Lie" of just wanting a healthy baby-- ha ha The joke was really played on me!All of that being said  I think each woman approaches Motherhood with great intentions, plenty of enthusiasm and a kinda fly by the eat of your pants attitude. 

I don't any of us really ever think that we will be the ones who will get that "not so perfect" baby -- It always happens to someone else . Its something you read about in a book or newspaper or moreso online OR you hear about it from a friend or colleague. AND even more scary is the scenario that you start out with what appears to be a pretty "typical" child and find out months or years later that it is not the case---

I guess why I write this is sparked by one day that is celebrated by just about everyone Being that everyone even Jesus has a Mother! And Mothers Day is portrayed to be the day that Moms "take it easy" as the little ones prepare simple breakfasts in bed , Sign or make cards and treat their Mothers to a day of pampering ;all to show how much they love us. 

BUT there are thousands of Moms who just don't have that kind of day-- That's not to complain or whine; that's not what this is about, its about recognizing those who don't get those accolades they so richly deserve and to bring awareness to the masses who don't realize that perhaps someone they know is not having the same glorious day that they had. 

Many Moms today had just another day-- helping their child through that day  bathing or feeding maybe even shaving-- Performing routine tasks to make sure their child has a kind of day that makes the child happy. That equates to Mothers happiness. Many will go with out a whisper of "I Love you Mommy" or "Happy Mothers Day" Because even tho she knows her child loves her he or she is not capable of expressing that sediment. Lots of Moms probably even had more challenging situations where behaviors reared their ugly heads. Believe me no one wants to go around any day with behaviors --AND on Mothers Day well its just the nature of the beast.

Guess what I am trying to say is to all the Moms out there  Is Happy Mothers Day from someone who is walking your Moccasins down a similar path and although it did not come from your child I know your pain as well as your joy -- You have many things to be thankful for BUT you also have the right to mourn a little too!

No comments: