Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Saturday, February 20, 2010

"Flashback"

Speaking of behaviors--- we had an interesting one yesterday;
Dakota arose to a bit of anxiety as he knew he had plans with a few "mentors" to do some exercise later in the day. He was so anxious that he wanted to get dressed and go several hours before these people were going to be ready for him so of course I tried to "fill " the time and placate until the afternoon.

We headed over to the fast food choice of the day and when we entered the parking lot; I had challenged him to get out and go in and eat rather than drive thru and take it back to the house--at first he appeared open to the idea but when the car hit the parking slot he said "NO NO" -- I said "OK you want to take it home!" I started to pull into the drive thru and from no where his eyes filled with tears and he started shouting about cutting all his hair off {which was left over from the night before--he continues to twist his hair and deface his hairline and MY frustration is growing to the point that I am resolved ALMOST to shaving his head and starting from scratch with the hope that it will stop that behavior{again be careful what you wish for}}. 

So I put the car in reverse and backed out, found a parking space which the whole lot was basically empty and shut down the car to have a discussion with him about this issue. Within 2 minutes it was escalated to cuss words and shouting and his statement"Thats it Im getting out of this damn car!" 
Out he goes--slamming the door behind him. I took a stand, with the environment being relatively safe to allow him to storm off. The lot was wide open and we were quite a ways from the street which was a side street with less traffic than  main drag. He walked about 30 to 40 yards away and stopped by a cement cylinder that housed a tall light. I did not move and I kept the motor running so I could "jam" if I needed to get to him quickly.
About 10 or 15 minutes passed and I could tell he was attempting to find his way back--the anger had passed. What I observed was rather interesting and perplexing. He stood there and rocked back and forth-- picked up his feet and tried to step towards the car but it was as if he was in a clear plastic box that he couldnt get out of--- Pretty soon he starts calling with his hand to his mouth "where are you??" I was in plain view with no other cars between us-- he could see me, he could hear me but he could not move from that lamppost. I swore I wasnt going to go after him. I wasnt going to move but as I watched him struggle I knew his body WAS NOT  going to allow him to walk back to the car. I took incrimental steps by just getting out of the car first and encouraging him to walk back the same way he went-- that didnt work--- He started to step on the lines for the cars to park between and he could not get himself to move beyond those lines---Finally I walked across the isle and encouraged him to come, again and he could not do it-after 3 or 4 sessions of trying I got within 10 to 15 feet of him, held my hands out and said "Come on you can do it". It took everything he had to step toward me. As soon as he had my hands he held on for dear life.The first words out of his mouth were "I was having a "flashback" Momma from when I broke my leg" "I was afraid to move"   

I am not sure what to think of this whole episode. heres where I am at: first and foremost any kid that can express that he was having a "flashback" is certainly not retarded as the Inland Regional Center would like to label someone like Dakota.  
Secondly as much as Chaffey Joint Union High School District would like to think that it was "just a broken Leg" and "things like this happen all the time"  it scarred my kid far more than they will ever imagine and it is sad that he still has to struggle with this kind of trauma 5 years later!  

1 comment:

Karen said...

I really detest these so-called "professionals" who think almost, if not all, people with autism are retarded. When facilitation was brought in and it was discovered that many of them actually have words to be heard, the doctors reaction was not even apologetic. They just said it was assumed that they were retarded because "the opposite was too horrible to imagine". We know where the ignorance lies, and it lies not in our kids.