Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, June 14, 2009

Our Carmen

Carmen San Antonia de Walnetto was her name and she was our loyal and faithful friend since 2002. She was found roaming the streets looking to be a part of someones family and home. She was quiet and calm and perfect for Dakota.

We found out that she was no young pup but had been around the block a few times so we knew that we wouldnt have her around as long but never the less she came home with us and instantly beame a part of our family.

She had her bouts with her ears and her eyes but cancer got her in the end.I tried everything short of chemo to help her but it was inevitable as it is with all of us.

I knew that this was the first time Dakota had ever attached himself and it was going to be what I thought a very tough thing when it finally happened. I did my very best to prepare him by telling him that she was getting older. That she was different than us because dog years are longer then then our years and that some day she will pass before us.

Of course it could not have happened at a worst time. The week we were going through all the stuff for graduation. Gees --- can someone give us a break??? Anyway the day she passed I took her to the vetwhile Dak was still asleep, I know I was definitely avoiding confrontation-----
It was the day he was supposed to go to the Senior Luau and plans had been made and I was going to do anything I could to get Dakota to that Luau. So I told him she was at the Vet and he was working on her and would call. The next day was another event so I waited until after we successfuly got him to that event and then later that evening I broke the news to him.

I expected a huge reaction and even some emotion as Dakota, unlike many other Autistics, has a very deep emotional side which he does display. I dont mean the behavior or tantrum kind but more like the typical emotion we "non-autistics" have. {Man is that an awkward comparison!} A N Y W A Y I sat him dow and told him that Carmen was very sick and the doctor worked on her but she passed away.
He sat there and paused for a moment and simply replied " You said this day would come".

And that was it--- again another lesson. You just never now what you are going to get with Autism, you can plan and try to control ;fuss and figure out scenarios BUT you just never know whats coming next.

No comments: