Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, November 16, 2008

It's all in there!!!

One of the most perplexing things about this disability is the ever present question of what computes and what eludes our children---For the most part as you grow with this Damn Autism you realize that your child has a lot more going on than any one wants to give him credit for---

There are professionals and educators who continue to politely "placate" your insistence that your child "gets it" or knows more of whats going on than any of us think.[wink ;-} wink ;-}]

Well I have two short stories to again prove that damn "pros" wrong!

Over 1- years ago Dakota came home with the first and only joke he has ever told me --
Do you know what time it is when an elephant sits on your fence?
Time to get a new fence--hahahahahahaha

A couple of weeks ago on "the Price is Right" Rich Fields the announcer was doing the showcase at the end of the show and they used this joke with a twist---he said "Do you know what time it is when an elephant sits on your piano?" "Its time to get a new Baby Grand Piano"
WELL the look on Dakotas face was priceless-- he heard the joke and got a look on his face and he said "what the hell they used MY JOKE!"
I could not believe that he not only understood the joke but the fact that they tweaked it for the show and he referred to it as "his joke"
just floored me-----

The second incident was funnier yet----I have a pretty messy house but I have one rule-- as much as I love our dog --she can go anywhere in the house EXCEPT the bed---Well I was out in the front of the house and I heard my Mom getting after Dakota about the dog being on the bed. Of course I started hollering for him to get the damn dog off the bed and the more I hollered the more he laughed and decided he was not going to do what I asked him to do---- So I went back and removed the dog and left the room. About 10 minutes later I went back there to talk to him and check to make sure he had not put the dog back up on the bed and he looks at me and says " Mom when you are dead and in the ground then I can put Carmen on the bed!"
O M G I was so stunned I did not know what to say
It was so profound that not only was he responding the way a typical kid would but the fact that he had an understanding of the rules and just how he would manipulate those rules once I wasn't around anymore.
It was his ability to utilize a thinking process that most seem to believe he does not possess--
It may have been a small window of clarity or it may be something ever present but the point is
AGAIN NEVER NEVER GIVE UP and NEVER NEVER allow someone to convince you that your child will never learn or possess that which you know it possible!
Its all in there---- sometimes you just have to wait for it to surface!

1 comment:

bodegalee said...

GREAT blog! My Spectrum kiddo is young, 7, but still can relate to so much of what you've said: mostly re: the medical community and schools. It's frustrating cause it's hard enough to raise an NT child, let alone one with SN's but then add the burden we SN's moms need to endure to get what our kids need - BARF! Kills me somedays. I always hate when we leave one institution/care provider and have to move on - there's a grieving process for me as it always takes so long to get someone "up and running" on what i expect and what the law requires them to do. I'm so glad that we finally are in a mainstream classroom mode and things are going really well. I hope, pray, will sing to the moon, keep my fingers crossed, it all continues! Keep up the good work!

Leigh