Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, November 23, 2008

Blood Work-- What a Challenge

When Dakota was barely out of the NICU we had to start blood work because of seizure activity--- After seeing all the ingenious equipment the the hospital had for those tiny babies I thought surely there would be "ingenious " ways to take blood from an infant.WRONG
The first time I went to the lab they sat me down and had me hold Dakota in my lap as they wrapped that wide rubber band around his tiny little arm-- Before it was all over they had to lay me down!


I got smart as the years progressed and made sure that the same lab tech-- Wanda was always available for Dakota. I would plan every thing-- The time of day when it was least busy or noisy and of course when all the other elements like no change in doctor or location were present --we would walk in and BAM it worked like a charm.

The seizures stopped and we no longer had to take blood and believe me when we had to think about blood work recently it has become
"a whole new can of worms"!

So I sprang into action--believe me it has not been easy but this is how it goes-
Once I know the doctor is ordering a test -- I inform him it may not be a timely test and that if he needs something immediately that he needs to make some kind of arrangements to possibly draw the sample right there in the room other wise we will do the best we can--- when we can----

Its starts with a visit to the facility perhaps when we are picking up a prescription--- and we just cruise by the lab---
Then the next time I stop and strike up a conversation with one of the lab techs on our second visit-- short and not obtrusive and I try to bring Dakota into the "loop"
Third time I had Dakota walk into the lab and say hi to the lab tech-- She looked at him and said aren't you ready to let me take your blood and he shook his head and ran from the room-- so went went home -- NO hassles
Finally on the fourth try and over a month later we walked in and she said
"OK go check in " and B I N G O He turned around walked straight to the desk checked in! What a tremendous feeling it was to achieve success.
He walked in, sat down, put his arm out and did not flinch!

We had a second run recently; although it was still a challenge we again had a positive outcome-- We ran into a bump where the lab order had gone dormant cuz it was taking longer than usual.When the stars had aligned and Dakota was willing to get tested they started to give me a problem about the lab orders--It was all I could do not to loose it . I asked to speak to a supervisor and explained the extenuating circumstances-- before it was all over the Lab Tech and her supervisor pulled a few strings, knowing the situation, and before I could blink Dakota and I were walking out with another "one" in the win column!

So OK its not easy; you have to be creative and you have to find what works for your child but believe me you will find away! Hopefully it wont be kicking and screaming. Again don't get stressed about it, find a way for you and your child to have a successful positive experience so the next time will be easier.
It can be done.

No comments: