Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Saturday, January 19, 2008

Proud Momma

I am so proud of my kid! He has had residual trouble with his leg and foot since he broke it over 2 years ago and we have one more "procedure" to attempt a final remedy of what I hope will fix or at least make better his gait and walking ability this is a little more complicated and extensive than the other things we have tried up to this point. That being said he needed to have blood work done and it has been quite a long time since we have had to make a trip to the Lab. I was very nervous because now that he is a full grown kid he isn't someone I can flop on my lap and hold on tight and just get the job done --- I needed co-operation and willingness to get the job completed.

Well; we started a dialogue about how we had to get the blood work done and how he used to go to the lab years ago on a rather regular schedule{as he was on meds that required monitoring} and how we could not get this final procedure done until he went to the Lab. He was a bit reluctant and talked about his visit to the ER and hospital when he broke his leg and how it was not the most pleasant experience and how "he wanted to get out of there!" And that the blood work was already done because they did it the last time he was in the hospital--- HE'S NO DUMMY! I explained that was long ago and it was necessary to get a new test. He wasn't exactly ready to hear that-- so the next step we took was merely going to the facility and walking in and talking with the flabotomist{sp} -I made it a point to go towards evening when there were less people and the facility had just started doing clinic work and is now open til 9pm so the Lab was much quieter after 5.We introduced ourselves to Shawnice and told her our story about our prior routine with his favorite lady that ALWAYS drew his blood before and how we were just getting used to the lab at this point and we would visit again soon.

A couple of weeks went by and he was still resisting so I had to refill a 'script so I took that opportunity to "cruise" the lab again with Dakota in tow. He was still resistant but the same lady was there and she greeted him and then we said good bye.

Yesterday it seemed as if the stars were aligned and everything was in its proper place --at my suggestion I told Dak I had to go refill another prescription and maybe we should get that test---He walked into the facility walked right to the lab and there she was the same lady and she told him "Ok I am here now go get checked in and come see me"-- He walked to the desk--checked in-- walked straight over to the lab --sat down -- put his arm out --started to renig a bit when she got out the tube but by the time I hugged him and told him it was ok she said "Ok just a small stick you probably wont feel it" -- I looked down and she was done!!!!

NO screaming, no crying, no fighting, no nothing---MAN WAS I BEAMING! I think I was dreading it more than he was. As a mother I think its that way a lot of the time but I have to admit with kids like this you just never know what to expect and when you get this type of GREAT behavior You cant help but be proud and know that maybe the little extra work you put into it paid off!

No comments: