Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Room Full of Toys

The title just about says it all---I cant tell you how many things we have bought to try to encourage and promote Dakotas growth educationally and socially-- I walk into his room and say Oh My God I have got to do something with this stuff --he has surely out grown this or that--Then I think "How can I give away all these things I have tirelessly and diligently  collected just to help him???"

Its no secret to all who know me; I am one who has difficulty throwing things away or giving them away for that matter, but my mother makes me look like an amateur--Ha Ha

Also I still have fleeting hope that I will find the right connections to get My Autism Center started and all of the things I have hung on to will then have new meaning and use.

Then something like this happens: Yesterday Dakota walked into his room and gets this twinkle in his eye and a smile on his face -- he points directly to a box that has been sitting on his dresser for at least and I mean AT LEAST 10 years and says "heeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy who's that?""I know who that is !" All of a sudden after all these years he now has renewed interest in  a box containing a Magic Rock Garden  with a picture of Beakman of Beakman's World. Just recently Beakman's World has been airing on Saturdays and Dakota has been watching it with great interest and intensity. This I believe is spurred by the fact that he is also attending a regular science class at school.

Sooooooooo  now my instincts are validated about holding on to crap that should have gone years ago but more so that WE NEVER KNOW When that window of opportunity will open for our kids!! There just is no timeline with these children -- you can try and force and push but they will get it when they are ready  NEVER GIVE UP ! And never let go of something if you think that somewhere down the line your child may use it. I have so many things that are not so "age appropriate": but they have "educational value"{alot of electronic learning devices} so I will not give this stuff up, Now that this last episode has happened with the box recognition my hope is on  high again----and in the next week we will open up the Magic Rock Garden and put it to use! FINALLY!

No comments: