Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Tuesday, August 7, 2007

VACATION PART 2

I know the last bit about it being a small price to pay was a bit redundant but I can't express how much more calm, peaceful and smooth our vacation was this year!

So on to San Simeon-Cambria Home of the famous Hearst Castle-I decided that we would go thru Monterey and take Highway 1 down the coast. Nice thought but really not the best choice for Mother and Dakota actually probably for me as well cuz I was the one driving!!! Its a beautiful drive if you start early and take time to get out and enjoy the scenery and awe of the coast with all of its creatures but we were in late afternoon and hell bent to be at the hotel before dark---My Mother has been on the road several times as well as myself and she just was not a happy camper --the road is very windy and up high off the cliffs of the Pacific Ocean . It also has been disintegrating for many years and they were working on it and at one point it was a single lane controlled by a signal for opposite traffic--- Not only was it taking way longer than e all expected there was a man ahead of us who was going about 15 miles an hour and my patience has worn out by the time we were done with that stretch of road--- To top off the whole experience Dakota was starting to get edgy cuz it was approaching 8 and he wanted to get to a TV --Big Brother was on and he did not want to miss it!! Need-less to say we made it just before dark and managed to get checked in and food sent to the room: bonus score was Dak got his TV fix--- !!!!This is a beautiful town and area to visit whether you go to the Castle or not -- and this particular Hotel was My Highlight of the trip-- The Cavalier Inn-- Best Western. What a great hotel the only one in this area with direct beach access on the property. The rooms have fireplaces ready to go all you have to do is light the match, mini honor bar and small service areas with a sink and coffee maker and all you do is slide the door open to your own patio that over looks the coast line . There is also 2 heated pools on the property and 3 large fire pits that are lit every night for the guests from 6 to 10-- how great is that?? We all went into the village of Cambria and found a Farmers Market with wonderful organic vegetables and fruits with all sorts of other interesting things-- Mom stayed in the town a couple of hours while Dakota and I went back to the room. Before we left we did discover an memorial about the Piedras Blancas Lighthouse which is just north of Cambria. It had been abandoned by the Coast guard In 1949 and some med in the town who belonged to the Lions Club got together and saved the working mechanism and actual rotating light and brought it back to the town and encased itwith all the historical information. Dakota took pictures by it and seemed interested so that was a great moment! It finally came time to head home and although Dakota was anxious to get back cuz he wanted to see his Pop I made one more stop just below Santa Barbara on the 101 called Santa Claus lane--- It was a place I remembered as a kid that was almost like a rest stop along the ocean that when you pulled off it was one long string of Christmas themed stores--The bakery,the toy store, the Christmas decoration store and a 50's type diner-cafe it was a greatest thing and almost like something that Disney himself would have concocted with A-frame roofs that had white trim that looked like snow on them and open fronts on some of the building that were so inviting it was a haven and a memory that I will never forget--but ALAS these modern times have swallowed it up! I wish now I had not seen it in such disorder and abandon. Of course some kind of developer has seized it and is in the process of making it a "beach resort" and the simple fact that the property is worth more than the business now--- I think the 5 freeway going up the middle of nowhere in California taking a lot of the travelers away from the coast as well as the fact that nothing is scared anymore sicken my heart-- Many children have lost the ability to experience a childhood memory of something simple and pure and innocent -- I guess there is no right answer but I am sad to see it go By the end of summer the last of the business will be gone forever Ay=t least I satisfied my curiosity and got up one last time-- My only Hope Is that someone who has the capability of re-creating this village may do something in the future and nostalgia will prevail!!!

Final Mistake I made was not taking the 126 in Ventura home and went to the 134 which was ok but back to congestion and chaos thru LA-- northern LA at that but still a mess, we made it back and Dak got to see his Pops and Mom and I came home and collapsed. It is going on a week since we have been home an we are just now unpacking and finishing up laundry and getting ready for the birthday bash for Dakota--- VIVA LAS VEGAS-- I know how can I be thinking of another trip ??? well I consider this one vacation just with a big lay over at home in the middle!!!!

No comments: