Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, August 12, 2007

A Friend

A day I often wondered would ever come has finally come!

Dakota has always been a loner I am sure much of that is the Autism. He never seemed to be phased by others around him whether it be what they thought of him or how they interacted with him BUT i CAN SEE A CHANGE This past year in his new class there have been many positive changes but both his teacher and I agree his greatest "stride" has been social. Best Buddies has been a part of this growth but I have to say there have been 2 young men in the class that have contributed a lot to this change.

Yesterday I was in the kitchen and Dak came out and started talking about Josh being old enuf to go to Vegas-- and I told him no Dakota I am sorry hes too young to enjoy Vegas. He continued to say no Josh was old enopugh and it was almost like I knew it was coming--- He said Yes Josh is old enough --we can take him to Vegas with us. I could not believe my ears he was asking me to take Josh with us--- OH MY GOD I said no Josh cant go-he said "you take Josh to Disneyland" and I said yes but Vegas was a different story-- He continued and would not let up he wanted me to take Josh-- I was simply amazed so I was so astonished by this "request" that I promised him that as one of his birthday presents I would take him and Josh to the beach for a couple of days later in the month or maybe October-- When I told him that he then relented and said OK

It just goes to show you that you never give hope and you never say never--- Theres is always a glimmer of hope and my guy is the perfect example! He actually is making a friend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you[all] and yes you're right to never give up hope as they're always full of surprises.
Best wishes
http://whittereronautism.com