Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Magic of Harry Potter!

AS I have mentioned in other entries the OCD thing with the food is enough to drive you nuts but when you realize that its really one of the only things that is set in stone and cant be "worked around" you get to the point of just not fighting it --mainly because there are other battles to win!

Last week I waged a battle that I thought was going to be a simple one and boy did I get fooled! It was the day for Wienerschnitzel--which seems to be one of the days that Dakota "digs his heels in"--He is very insistant that there will be no deviation--HEY i TRIED

OK so the morning came :I got up and fixed a traditional breakfast didnt say anything about Wienerschnitzel; later on called him to the table and OOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOO HE ABSOLUTELY FLIPPED OUT SCREAMING, RUNNING TO THE BACK ROOM AND SHUT THE DOOR. I went in and attempted to explain that we would go later but he wasnt having it--- I made several visits to the room to try to reason with him that it was in his best interest to eat some healthy food that its ok to have the "crap food" but you have to be balanced-- he continued to scream and cuss at me because he wanted what he wanted and that was it--I got the brillant idea that I wasnt going to give in and he would have something healthy before getting his junk--Things went down hill rapidly,I asked him to drink a glass of juice; or eat a half of a banana;a couple pieces of apple;--or even a few grapes 10 to be exact! 7--thats right seven--HOURS LATER we were still at a standoff I almost caved in because I knew he needed to eat and at this point it was more important for him to have something in his stomach for behaviors and medications than it was to win the battle--

Finally it came to me I concocted a story that the car wouldnt start because VoldeMorte{the villian in Harry Potter}had cast a spell on the car and it would not start BUT Harry had countered with magic that would make the car start if Dakota would eat just 5 grapes-- thats right my 7 hour ordeal had been reduced to 5 grapes after repeating the story again I could see he was coming around to the idea that he didnt want VoldeMorte to win. He actually ate 12 grapes and miracle of miracles the car started !

Who would have thunk it? JK and Harry actually helped me win a battle-- meager as it seems at least it still goes into the win column!

No comments: