Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Week from Hell

Boy  did i have the week from hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 different meetings about Daks education plan and placement as well as docotr and dentist appointments couple with a few crisis at home and VIOLA' what a week!

Have been trying to "broker" a deal with the department head for a new placement in school for my son. He has become too comfortable in the classhe is in and there are changes coming so Now Is The Time.

Short of pissing and moaning about whats happening in the class and whining about how hes not getting what I think he should I have chosen to move forward with another plan. I believe that he is a lost cause in this enviroment and instead of trying to re-invent the classroom I will move him to a new classroom.

I have been suffering from some pretty strong depression about my failure to get all the things he needs in school but at this point That is not  productive,   I believe that Dak was definitely ahead of the curve when it came to securing services for Autism. My only hope is that we pioneered the way for other parents and kids that came after us to get things we werent sucessful  in securing. I still beleive that my son has untapped talent in academics as well as occupational skills and short of me spending every day all day in his class room policing his IEP  I have no way to know exactly what goes on in class--and for those of you who dont realize it when you have an autistic child he doesnt come home and tell you ANYTHING!!!!! Was the teacher there, did you get your speech therapy, did the adaptive PE teacher show up did you go to the library today , what did you have for lunch, are you hungery???                                                        Have you ever had to ask these questions and not got some kind of answer?????  With an autistic child many have the ability to answer or the verbal skills and just wont or cant others dont speak at all --- Can you imagine as  a parent how frustrating this is???not knowing if some one has treated your child well , or if theres an activity your child could participate but he doesnt tell you about it--

Ok I am getting on my soap box    But really many dont think about all these things.  They justdont rewalize how much they take for granted  how fortunate they are to have to deal with everyday drama--                                                                        But I have to tell you along with the frustrating things comes the appreciation that I have a child who still wants to be around his parents{most of the time} and doesnt walk around with his pants hanging down to his kness who has every other word coming out of his mouth as a cuss wordis in to drugs and hasnt gotten some girl pregnant Sooooooooo there much to be Thankful for

No comments: