Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Monday, October 10, 2005

A Letter-To Someone Interested in the Center

I wanted to make an effort to sit down an write you an email to let you know what I am trying to accomplish by trying to start this center I have been sending out information on----  You have sent me one email indicating that you were interested in meeting  and you wanted to share with me the project at the station as well as see if this center may fit in somehow. I don't know if you were able to see the Nightline show {ABC @11:35 p.m.}  on Friday night but it was exactly what I am trying to capture in this Center.  It  specifically talks about the growing numbers of children who are becoming "adults" and there is no place for them to go, no place for them to be included, no one to guide them.Of course the narrator  spoke of personal family afflicted with autism and also talked about the growing statistics and the fact that there is no plan for these kids  Plain and simple something has got to be done and I hope that I can be a part of that solution.   As a parent of an emerging  adult  with autism it was always my focus on health issues , academic and social opportunities with in the school setting and when your kids are small you are so entangled with those things that it becomes overwhelming to consider the "bigger picture"--I dont think I need to tell you that as I know you have your own personal  struggles and experiences  What I have found is that the services and placements for our kids as they grow is fragmented and often not appropriate. I dont pretend to say that my guy is better off than others with challenging disabilities but what separates him from some of the others is that he has the ability to get his  foot in the door many places that kids with physical disabilities wont . His social skills and behavior are the major things that mask his otherwise normal IQ    So that all being said I am on a bandwagon to do something about it! Somehow I went all thru school fighting for Dakota and always feeling that I would get 2 steps forward and somehow fall 1 and 1/2 steps back through the process-- now I think I have the ability to rally the troops for something I think is on the cutting edge of Autism in the future-- A place that services anyone with a need--I want to fashion it like the IEP- what the individual needs of the client or family or professional needs. If the family only wants support groups fine  if an individual needs social; recreation or training in some area   OK  or if a professional needs to observe or to have some one do  "in service" for them i want this Center  to be there for what ever the need.   I have been told its extremely ambitious  I know that  I also know there is a need and there are parents and others who can and will support this project So I press on --with or without the blessing of traditional  support       I have a plan in my head and its screaming to come out and I welcome anyone who is interested and anyone who can help I will be happy to forward any info you might want I would love to have your support and involvement. Currently I have 4 different professors from 4 different colleges , several people who have businesses which assist kids with Autism and a pretty good base of parents who have met  once and are getting involved. I am looking for possible locations and I have a meeting Monday to speak to an attorney about the non profit  status.

No comments: