Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Saturday, November 9, 2013

Idea for possible contact with local police

There have bee a couple "brushes with the law"over the course of the past few years and finally I concocted a plan that I HOPE will help if and when there's another interaction with the local police....

Several years ago perhaps 3 or so I had taken Grandma  to a lab for a blood draw , to a place we had all gone many times before...of course this particular time was Leiden with changes ..more crowded, different time than normal, AND the lab had just been "rearranged" ..chairs I a different pattern.  Things on the walls different or missing, I think new paint and new carpet...so we walk in everything's ok for the first 10 minutes then Dakota starts to pick at grandma and the more she reacts the more he escalated...then there was an old man (sorry I am old too ) but he was with his wife who was noticeably ill perhaps cancer ..think she had a snood on and I could tell he was not happy with Dakota . I did what I could but quickly realized I had to get him out of there most especially because this guy was growing increasingly agitated as well...I was afraid he might try to grab Dak and then it would be a real mess....we got outside and before I could get him into the car he started yelling and pushing me and had decided he was not going to get into the car???finally I manhandled him into the car and left the parking lot ..I got no furtherhan the main intersection and what to wondering eyes should appear ????not sant but a motorcycle cop who threw the lights on and I pulled onto the nearest parking lot ..so if Dakota would flee at least he wasn't on the street....the policeman was very nice and he just wanted to know if everything was ok  that they had got a call about the ruckus ....I explained the situation and he said no problem, he looked at Dakota and said a few words and left....

Flash to about a year and half ago Dak was visiting his dad overnight and his dad was making plans to go out to dinner with people Dakota didn't know and he decided he wasn't having any of it and ran out of the house and threw himself on the front lawn screaming and yelling..Well guess the neighbors weren't having any of it so they called the police....when they showed up they separated the. And "attempted" to talk to Dakota ???they also quickly knew this was above their "pay grade" and left...

My head starts grinding the motor to figure out what I can do ...there are so many 
instances of police not taking a disability into consideration and the lack of information readily available to them when they arrive at a "scene".....so I took to the computer and wrote a brief 2 page discriptor about Dakota,his behaviors,his abilities and what to expect when encountering him I put a current picture and a copy of his State I.D. ; made several copies and took them to the police departments in both cities that his dad and I live in...asked for the communications director and explained  what had happened and that I am trying to be proactive in the case of another incident ???I also took a few to some neighboring cities as well like where the mall is that he goes with a coach and city where a movie theateris that he goes to ...everywhere I went the info was well received and I hope that it didn't go into the trash and was filed like they said they would...look this isn't perfect but at least it is a step ...a step to at least say I tried to give you so maybe there won't be someone who doesn't know what they are encountering...it just an idea and there are probably 100's of ways ..this is just what I did...maybe it can give you ideas of what might work for you and yours!

No comments: