Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Little to say About Nothing!

I felt compelled to write as I have been getting more response from casual readers--It seems to have made me aware that although I feel I write this as a tool to vent;there is a deeper purpose and why I started this blog in the first place. 

I have recently received several emails from caregivers with comments and questions about life in general living with Autism. It is certainly no party and it is pretty much all consuming of your life. You find yourself isolated and restricted to many of the every day luxuries of life.

Many outside the "realm" do not realize how life with Autism is a well choreographed dance to get thru the day. Sometimes even something as simple as a phone call or an hour on the computer has to be "timed" with precision! I actually chuckle to myself as I know many would think I am a bit nuts---AND perhaps I am, but, I stick to my original statement.

Add to that the act of going out in to the community and you have a new challenge every time.Some what similar to when you have an Infant and you pack a diaper bag and there is always something that happens you did not prepare for. The "surprise" element is a big factor for us and our kids. You can be going down the isle of the grocery store and out of nowhere your child drops to the floor and starts screaming or you have been out for awhile and you get in the car to do something else or head home and BOOM the car door opens while you are in Motion! Life with Autism is a "Crap Shoot" The factor that is the most difficult is the "viewing public".  After years of living with Autism you become equipped to deal with most circumstance but the most unpredictable element are the people who are on the OUTSIDE LOOKING IN!

I have always tried to seize opportunities to inform or educate anyone around. That being said I have changed somewhat in my opinion that every one needs to know about every little nuance of Autism. I now have narrowed my opinion to "A Need to Know Basis". The rule is that we DO NOT live in a an "Ozzie and Harriet World" and "shit happens"; typical kids and Autistic kids alike. NOW when something happens if it directly affects a stranger like body contact or verbal interaction I take that opportunity to inform the person they are interacting with someone who is Autistic. If it is just a situation where people are present when a meltdown occurs or they see something "strange" I don't waste my energy trying to "educate" them.

Please don't misunderstand-- I believe we should take any and all opportunities to desensitize the community to our kids and Autism in general.I believe you have to be like a teacher that find the right "teachable moment".

A little to say about Nothing can go a long way!

No comments: