Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, August 16, 2009

Presenting Choices

A quick post about presenting choices-- As I have worked thru many situations with Dakota I recently discovered the most effective way present choices and eliminate most behavior.

I have struggled with Dakota getting escalated when I try to involve him in making choices throughout the day. Since Dakota has reading skills and minimal manual dexterity I now utilize scratch paper or notepads or any writing surface I can find in the house to present choices .

When I verbally ask him to make a choice it either generates no response or even more so a behavior that potentially will escalate.I do not understand the root cause, all I know is it is not beneficial for him or myself. Sooooooooooooooo I now grab a writing utensil and scribble choices -- Do you want to eat a Hamburger or a hot dog
Grapes or melon
Then I hand him the pen or pencil or chalk or marker and re-read the choices and ask him to pick one---
It has been working like a charm -- he will either circle or check his preference-- and BINGO we are on our way

Next time you have a situation try this-- it sure has helped us!

No comments: