Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, March 22, 2009

Any Change -----

Any Change can make a difference in our kids lives. Actually that could apply to typical children as well---My point is, how we as "somewhat typical" people often times don't have the keen sense to detect that a mild change of any kind can and probably will make a difference to our kids. That means we will see behaviors, emotions and actions that sometimes we wonder "where the hell it came from" only to discover at a later time that it was the disruption of a schedule, routine or pattern that's set off the series of unfortunate events!

As far back as elementary school I remember situations where I was summoned to the school because Dak was having a problem and they -- the school staff-- could not figure out what set him off . I would arrive only to find that they had changed the class routine, or someone came in with blazing red hair after they had been a brunette the whole school year, or they had equipment on the school campus that emitted noises that most of us would just filter out or ignore .
Gee ya think??? My kid has Autism-- that means that he has a routine and structure and anxiety and when that is disrupted it causes "static" in his head which in turn triggers behavior.

I have found that even something as subtle as different paint or a new carpet; things we may not even take notice of " can really cause the mojo to be screwed up". In fact I found that putting Dak into a different exam room for the doctor often caused him to get "squirel-ly". One perfect example was I got a call one day where Dakota was off the charts running around the room knocking books off the shelves and tearing into everything. I got a call that the staff was at their witts end cuz they could not figure out what was going on. Of course I ran right to school only to find that the class had cleared out.Only the teacher and Dakota remained in the room. By the time I arrived he had calmed quite a bit but was still circling the room disturbed about something. As the teacher tried to explain that nothing was different and nothing had changed I noticed Dak revisiting a certain area in the class --he kept returning to one specific spot in the 10 minutes or so that I was talking to the teacher. I walked over to this area only to find a 6 foot long piece of masking tape stuck on the carpet. I said "Theres tape on the floor over here". The teacher and aide[who had just returned to the room}replied yes we put it there to do some testing of the students -- I just looked at them-- they drew blank-- I said after a brief pause--- "And when did you put this tape on the rug?" "Oh today just a little while ago" again I said "And when did you put this tape on the rug?" "Earlier this after noon" they replied. And I said "Soooooooooooooooo" They still gave me a blank stare---
THEY DID NOT GET IT---So I said"before Dakota started his behavior?"
"Well yes" THEY STILL DID NOT UNDERSTAND-- how could a piece of tape on the carpet cause that reaction????? I simply slapped my forehead and said "I should have had a V-8" -- these are what I call my V-8 moments. When you finally solve the the puzzle. I have to admit they still were in awe that something that simple could cause such a reaction. People who had cared for Dakota everyday for several years, people who knew my kid pretty well still had no clue that something that simple would make such a big difference.

Change-- colors of walls, different carpet, new location for the same person, same medication in a different bottle, a smell or scent, a change of perfume or after shave, lighting--if you go to the same place during a different time of the
day,even the bus they ride on--the interior is brown on some buses and green on others- or the tires and rims are different or the number of the bus, not to mention a different driver or going a different way-- I could go on and on!

My point is our kids can adapt but they need help--it plays into the anxiety. {Anxiety:the fear of whats to come}
Preparing them, telling them; well we are going to see Mr.so and so but he moved to a new place or we have to go to a certain place but its a different day or time-- Helping them to combat their anxiety helps ----Anything you can do to prepare them can potentially mean the difference between a successful trip and a disaster.

No comments: