Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Saturday, January 3, 2009

Good Bye or Hello--am I coming or going????

Another year gone and one coming I thought about doing a year in summary but why re-hash all the stuff that was stressful or "brag" about accomplishments when there is so much more to do?!

Christmas 2008 posed its own challenges this year and it wasnt so much Dakota as it was me---My own health kinda "knocked me off my pegs" this season and it drove home the reality of "who's gonna do this when I am no longer here?" Of course the most direct answer to this quandry is "When I am gone I wont know; so I guess it will be up to those who are here!" But the bigger issue is how can I trust or know that the people who are here ; WILL; CAN; WANT TO ; Take care of my Special Angel.
All I can do is continue writing notating informing and talking about Dakota and hopefully the pieces will fall together.

I try to impress upon Dakota the importance of knowing what he wants and needs and being able to either ask for help or do it himself. Again my hope is that I will be able to present a "paper trail" or
"Operator Mannual" for Dakotas care as well as give others who read this ideas how to make life easier for their special person and those who will be left behind when they go---

Something I have written about before and feel important enough to mention again is a notebook or 3 ring binder or folder prepared by you that talks abot your chid from every aspect. Something that will be there should something happen tommorrow> Routines,sleeping habits, grooming, eating, medicines, likes, dislikes, tactile sensitivities,precursors to behavior-- at least give anyone the basics to make your child comfortable in a difficult transition in your absence. It doesn't do any good in your head it only counts if it is available for others.

So don't hash over what did or didn't happen last year and change what might happen tomorrow or this year---continue to hang in there and every day or every week make one contribution to a manual that hopefully wont ever have to be used.

No comments: