Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, August 10, 2008

Trouble with Wristbands

Following the "Be Careful what you wish for" entry just had to add this little tidbit!

In March there was a pep rally at school --which the kids received a wristband to designate the appropriate time they attend the rally. After it was over Dakota wanted to leave it on--OK no harm No Foul--{yeah right} In April he had to have another surgery and they needed to put a wristband on while he was i the surgery center so trying to be creative and not "upset the apple cart" I made arrangements for them to put it on the same arm ---{boy was I going wrong at this point} Along comes May and there was a special dance Dak was to attend and VIOLA another wristband--That's right now we have 3 --OH HOW CUTE----------N O T !

Summer had come and these damn paper like bracelets are still on and causing a royal pain in my --you know what!It has now become and OCD thing --he absolutely is not relinquishing possession of these wristbands-- they are getting dirty and grubby and I want to cut them off but he is freaked about loosing them. They have also impeded him from swimming --he will not get in a pool and he is very touchy even about a shower---which is where I draw the line. When he showers the one arm in bent at the elbow and does not get washed from the elbow to the fingers.

You might say cut them off I have in fact tried in the middle of the night and he has awoke from dead sleep to find me with scissors and he flipped out. I even went and bought new wristbands and tried to negotiate replacing the old ones with new ones NO DEAL. I went so far as to buy a masculine silver bracelet and tried to reason with him that he could wear this all the time and swim or shower with out worrying and he just will not budge-- it is certainly a case of be careful what you wish for --I have been trying to get him to wear a medic-alert bracelet for years and I thought oh how cute maybe now I can get him to wear one of these

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA The joke is on me

Yesterday I drove all the way down to the beach and I could not get him out of the car. he refused to even touch the sand for fear that I would try to get him to go down to the water and ruin the bracelets--It is driving me crazy but i guess when others are dealing with things like kids digging into their diapers and flinging poop --I don't have anything to complain about!

I can tell you one thing when those bands come off THAT IS IT. There will be no more wristbands if I can control it .In the future if it is necessary for something like a concert before we leave the venue that band will be off! I have certainly learned my lesson.

No comments: