Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Repairman

After returning from our summer frolic I had lots of catching up to do including launbdry produced by the vacation Of course the very first load of laundry my washer decide to quit--- So I located a repuatble guy to fix the washer and made arrangements for him to come.

The doorbell rings and Dakota is not "presentable" so I explain to him that he cannot answer the door or be around the repairman if he doesnt get dressed appropriately. I leave the bedroom and let the man in and take him to my washer. All of a sudden the garage door opens and its Dakota and HES DRESSED and he has a big smile on his face! He was pulling on the waistband of the pants and so proud that he independently dressed himself! What a special moment-- He has always had some ability to HELP with his dressing but for him to intiate this social action by himself was amazing I WAS SO PROUD! I think the repairman thought I was off my rocker!

When the repairman left -Dakota and I started to go back into the bedroom and I found another surprize! Not only had Dakota seeked out a pair of pants and put them on by himself but he actually had tried another pair of pants but had trouble putting them on due to the zipper and they had gotten turned inside out somehow so he left them in a ball on the floor. I was more than happy to pick them up since we just had such a huge milestone!

This one is definitely what this journal is all about- - -celebrating the successes as well as documenting the challenges!

No comments: