Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, June 3, 2007

MY KID THE ROCK STAR

May was so busy -- I cant believe its been over a omonth since i wrote anything-- I several stories about Spring Break Disneyland and the prom  but for now have to be in the present

We attended a retirement party tonight and found out that we were living with a 'ROCK STAR"

Here's the story

Have to tell you I am so excited about -- I took  Dakota to a retirement party for the teacher who home schooled him before we got him into Alta Loma and she has been there for both of us  for IEP's and all; opening her room to Dakota so he had some main streaming and contact with "reg-ed" students--A N Y W A Y
 
There was a live "rock band" there -- and I was supposed to take him for just a short while then on to his dads-- well when he got there and the band fired up  he was not going anywhere, he started bobbing his head and clapping at the end of the songs and before you know it  he was up and dancing around with many of the people he knows from school-- not the kids in his classes but the security and the maintenance and the teachers
WHAT A CRACK UP    
 On the very last song he had already been messing around with the lead singer who was trying to get him to sing into the mic and when they finished with BROWN SUGAR by the Stones he was singing the lead and rocking out! Everybody was on the floor - - the lead singer had him doin all the oooo- ooooh's and the hook "Brown Sugar!" It was absolutely the best
After the band broke down one of the guitarists who is a special ed teacher came in and said to one of the other teachers that he could not believe Dakota -- he said "I cant get 2 words out of this kid at school but put a mic in front of him with rock and roll and he's a rock star!"
 
I could not have felt better   That was the best reward I could get !
It wasn't even about Mrs Thomas' retirement anymore it was about how my guy stole the show!!! -- How proud I was --- and how vindicated I felt as a parent who has told people over and over again that these kids just need to find their niche---and how it was for more than Dakota it was for all of us who knew it all along that our kids just need a chance.
Oh yeah and one feather in my cap for keeping that radio on KLOS and playing rock and roll for him before he was out of my womb!  He knows all the words!
 
Hail to my "Rock Star" and I dont mean the drink!!!!!!!

No comments: