Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Saturday, January 13, 2007

Poem that hits Home

Heres a poem that seems to capture a great picture about out kids-- many have passed this on to people who work with our kids to give them some insight

They Say"
© 2005 Sondra Williams

I heard them talking about me, saying I am not like others
I can dance and sing and play, I feel, and cry tears too.
I am more like you, than you think

I heard them say that my silence reflects no emotion, no connections.
I cry many unseen tears, I laugh at life's blunders, although not in
ways foreseen.
I connect like you, more than you think.

They say I am intellectually impaired and will never learn to reach my
potential
I know about words and explore the world in ways others rarely know.
I am smarter, than you think.

The doctor says I will not be able to show affection or relate to my
own family
I gave them a smile from across the room, they didn't even notice.
I do know and feel love, more than you may think.

Some say my anger and the rages are animalistic.
I tried to communicate my fear the only way I know how, but no one was
listening.
I get angry like you, for reasons like you, more than you think

The doctors say there is no hope, I am void of understanding
I have dreams and think on them often, but due to my silence I can't
share them.
Yes, I have dreams and goals, just like others, more than you think

Strangers say I am out of control and not human.
I have a body, mind and soul, just somewhat challenged.
I am human more than you think.

I heard them talking, saying oh, she has autism, a disability of no
hope
If they only knew what is trapped inside me, I think.
They would say she's more like me, than what I used to think.
____________________________________________________
More of Sondra™s poetry and insights can be found at
http://www.thegraycenter.org/sectionsdetails.cfm?id=30
*******************************************************************

 

No comments: