Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Sunday, May 1, 2016

All over a $1.84....,Oh how the day could have been different!

Wow ....I am almost unable to compose the thoughts going thru my brain right now....It's been a rough day, or should I say a tough couple of weekends??? Why I did, what I did today is beyond my own thought process! To think that $1.84 could make the difference between a good day and Let's say a challenging day.
So here's the scenario....Dakota is extremely addicted to TV and the schedule of TVShows during the week...try as I might to get him to change things up, get him away from the TV all together or even encourage him to watch a different station he is steadfast in his commitment to his routine. That being said; weekends are hell for him...he just doesn't adjust to the fact that his TV schedule goes to crap over the weekends and again try as I might, to introduce him to alternative options...(the park, bowling, the mall, visiting a Friends...) it's an epic fail most of the time...

Most recently the past 2 or 3 weekends have been much more intense and I haven't been able to identify the trigger...it's seems behaviors are a plenty right now and much more present than they have been in probably, oh I don't know, the better part of a year???? His behaviors are so unpredictable and seem to come in clusters...ANYWAY today was no exception the frustration was apparent from The onset of the day...he was up rather early and irritated right off the get down. So trying to avert a full meltdown I suggested a short ride befor going to In-N-Out...and he seemed agreeable. When we were finished driving I approached In-N-0ut and said I was going to Tommys to get the thick fries....and did he want Tommys fries instead....he said YES,I was surprised but thought OK maybe changes were happening; long story short...we get home , I get the burgers out put the Tommys fries in place of the In-N-Out fries and World War III broke out................he took one look at the different fries and he went bolistic!!!! Screaming , yelling , slapping himself, grabbing himself, crying hysterically. I stood there dumb founded for a minute and then it's came to me how stupid I was.

WHY after all these years, with everything I know and have been through would I let something so simple as an order of fries jack up today? somewhere I lost my mind. How could I be so stupid to not realize that with the weekend thing happening , the irritated behavior,and the already tension in the air that I would even consider CHANGING ONE IOTA of structure today???how did I allow myself to slip on such a simple concept "whatever you do DO NOT CHANGE schedule or routine when you have already a kid in distress???" Boy did I feel stupid about that one. you would think after all,these years it would be imbedded into my head.

Not sure what "lesson"this has for anyone else. The simple answer is when You want to avoid meltdowns a basic rule is DO NOT CHANGE anything that is routine. Yo think that a large part of today's fiasco coulda or woulda been avoided for $1.84 bag of fries

No comments: