Words to live by---

These 3 things remain true to the "Journey of Autism". Anyone or everyone can advise you;

ULTIMATELY you MUST go with what you feel is right. "GO WITH YOUR GUT."

Once you have arrived at this decision; "NEVER GIVE UP"!

LASTLY "Ya Gotta do, what Ya Gotta do!"



Saturday, November 7, 2009

Making Decisions

Perhaps I have written about this before but I think it deserves repeating---

Since Dakota was not talking I have always said I would be so happy when he can express himself and when he does I will honor his wishes. I have been finding decision making very difficult because of Dakotas inability to do so. I will ask him a question or try to give him a choice and inadvertently he will respond wit "I DON'T KNOW"-- It drives me crazy-- "yes" means maybe and "no" can mean anything from yes to no to I don't know!!!

So this is how I have made things better---When there is a question and I want his opinion or choice I simply take a piece of note paper and write the choices. I explain the prerequisites to the question then I hand him the paper and pen and let him physically mark his choice---
For example:Last Saturday was Halloween-- Dakota was supposed to see his Dad--but I had been decorating at home and planning to dress up -So I explained to him he could go now or wait till after the trick or treaters came and then go -- I wrote the choices on the paper and then let him mark his choice---
For some reason this method has really helped.
I am not sure why . I think perhaps it is because he can actually see the choice in print so it "cements the choice". Another added perk is that the paper remains around until after the choice is executed this allows Dakota to refer back to it and know that it was his choice not some one elses.

Not sure if this will work for others but I know it has been very effective for us-- All I can say is keep searching and trying different things till you find a solution for your home. I know it has made a difference for our home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wanted to commend you on your choice to mark the choices down on paper. I have a completely non-verbal six year old son. I also mark down the two or three choices he has and he will indicate. I do this to increase his reading, for sentence structure and to most importantly empower him to make a choice. I believe this works for our kids because they are very visual and they are smart also. We are validating them in so many ways! Glad you did this for Dakota. Keep up the effort. Tracy